Inspectors Visiting Disaster-Damaged Properties
RealEstateRama   -   Real Estate   -   Government   -   Nonprofit   -   Web

Inspectors Visiting Disaster-Damaged Properties

FRANKFORT, KY – May 7, 2015 – (RealEstateRama) — Residents and business owners who applied for federal assistance resulting from the severe storms and flooding in April will hear soon from damage inspectors.

People who suffered losses in Bath, Bourbon, Carter, Elliott, Franklin, Jefferson, Lawrence, Madison, Rowan, and Scott counties may be eligible for assistance by registering with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).

Following registration, FEMA usually schedules inspections within seven (7) to 10 days. An inspector first examines structural damage to a house or business, then assesses damage to appliances, such as the washer, dryer, refrigerator, and stove. The inspector also gathers information about serious needs, such as lost or damaged clothing. Homeowners should identify all known damages and tell the inspector if they have a septic system or a well.

Property owners need to show proof of ownership and occupancy. Renters need to show proof of occupancy. If insurance papers are available, residents should show them to the inspector.

Inspectors will ask applicants to show identification. At the same time, applicants should ask for identification from everyone identifying themselves as damage inspectors. All inspectors carry official photo identification.

“If an inspector is not wearing an identification card or badge, please make sure you ask to see it,” said Joe M. Girot, FEMA’s Federal Coordinating Officer for Kentucky.

Girot said it is also important to keep in mind that official inspectors do not charge for this service.

Those who have suffered losses as a result of the April storms, but have not yet applied for assistance are encouraged to do so as soon as possible.

The fastest and easiest way to register for assistance is online at or by calling 1-800-621- 3362 (FEMA) or by web-enabled mobile device at  Disaster assistance applicants who have a speech disability or hearing loss and use TTY should call 1-800-462-7585 directly; those who use 711 or Video Relay Service may call 1-800-621-3362. The toll-free telephone numbers will operate from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. eastern, seven days a week until further notice.


FEMA’s mission is to support our citizens and first responders to ensure that as a nation we work together to build, sustain, and improve our capability to prepare for, protect against, respond to, recover from, and mitigate all hazards.

Disaster recovery assistance is available without regard to race, color, religion, nationality, sex, age, disability, English proficiency or economic status. If you or someone you know has been discriminated against, call FEMA toll-free at 800-621-FEMA (3362). For TTY call 800-462-7585.

FEMA’s temporary housing assistance and grants for public transportation expenses, medical and dental expenses, and funeral and burial expenses do not require individuals to apply for an SBA loan. However, applicants who receive SBA loan applications must submit them to SBA loan officers to be eligible for assistance that covers personal property, vehicle repair or replacement, and moving and storage expenses.

For more information on Kentucky’s disaster recovery, visit or Facebook, go to To receive Twitter updates: or